- Indian gold imports reached just 37.7t in July 2019 – 49% lower than the same month last year
- The domestic gold price was 2.3% higher in July compared to June; 23% higher y-t-d
- The custom duty on gold was unexpectedly raised by 2.5% in the Union Budget on 5th July
- With elevated domestic gold prices and a higher custom duty, the discount in the local gold market reached a peak of US$28/oz in July
- Volatile prices and weak physical demand encouraged healthy gold futures trading on MCX: volumes touched a high of 46.8t in July
Goldhub blog: Posts tagged with "India"
We will soon be launching two regular blog posts– monthly updates on India and China by Mukesh and Ray, our analysts in Mumbai and Shanghai. These monthly posts will provide a snapshot of the health of these two global heavyweights, which together account for around half of annual global consumer demand.