Published today, Gold Demand Trends – the definitive market source for global gold demand data – uncovers the key trends in the gold market during Q1 and shines a light on the supporting cast of smaller markets.
Q1 2019 top movers and shakers:
- Central banks: continued to buy gold at the fastest pace for the last 50 years, prizing its combination of diversification, liquidity and safety
- ETF investors: faced with unsettling geopolitical uncertainty and low interest rates, investors in US and Europe made hefty additions to their gold-backed ETF holdings
- Indian jewellery buyers: a steep drop in the local gold price coincided with the wedding season and sparked a flurry of gold buying
- Japanese bar and coin investors: profit-taking was the order of the day as the yen gold price rallied sharply through the first six weeks of the quarter
- Chinese gold consumers: still by far the largest global buyers of jewellery, bars and coins, but Q1 demand faded slightly as gold was overshadowed by surging stock markets and international trade conflict.