Goldhub blog: Posts tagged with "volatility"
- Chinese gold prices rose modestly in July
- Au(T+D)’s trading volume in July extended its June surge
- The local gold premium saw a much lower volatility
- Imports registered another decline, dropping to 55t in July
- Gold withdrawals from Shanghai Gold Exchange (SGE) experienced the first rise in four months
- The People’s Bank of China (PBoC) added another 10t to its gold reserves
We often get asked about cryptocurrencies and whether they represent a potential replacement for gold, as well as what role, if any, bitcoin should play in a portfolio.
In Q4 2018, as global stock markets experienced their worst quarter since 2009, cryptocurrencies had a prime opportunity to demonstrate qualities associated with safe havens like gold. However, cryptocurrencies, such as bitcoin, behaved like risky assets and fell while gold rallied.