Regional flows 2022
ETF demand suffered in North America, Europe and Asia
- North American funds saw outflows/negative demand of 75t (US$3bn, 4%)
- European holdings declined by 15t (US$943mn, 1%)
- Asian funds lost 21t (US$1bn, 15.2%)
- Other region funds rose by 0.2t (US$49mn, 0.4%)
Individual fund flows 2022
SPDR® Gold Trust and iShares Gold Trust (US) dominated outflows over the year, followed by WisdomTree Physical Swiss Gold and WisdomTree Physical Gold (UK)
- In North America, SPDR® Gold Trust saw holdings fall by 58t (-US$2bn, -6%), while iShares Gold Trust lost 42t
- In Europe, UK-listed funds WisdomTree Physical Swiss Gold (-16t,-US$994mn, -26%) and WisdomTree Physical Gold (-14t, -US$767mn, -15%) registered the largest losses, while German-listed Xtrackers Physical Gold (-8t, US$477mn, -17%) and Xetra-Gold (-7t, US$315mn, -3%) also saw declines.
- Asian outflows were led by Chinese funds: Bosera Gold (-10t, US$585mn, -40%), Huaan Yifu (8t, -US$471mn, -26%) and E Fund (-6t, -US$349mn, -43%) saw the biggest lost of holdings.
*Please note that as of January 2023, we have implemented a change to our gold ETF methodology which allows us to more accurately measure demand for these products. To find out more about this new approach, please see the ETF methodology note.