The Conflict-Free Gold Standard provides a mechanism by which gold producers can assess and provide assurance that their gold has been extracted in a manner that does not cause, support or bene t unlawful armed conflict or contribute to serious human rights abuses or breaches of international humanitarian law.
Where a gold producer is operating in an area assessed under this Standard to be ‘conflict -affected or high-risk’ and in order to prevent causing, supporting or bene ting unlawful armed conflict through the production and transportation of gold, we will:
- Publicly commit to not support unlawful armed conflict and to respect human rights and where relevant, international humanitarian law, for example, through support of the Universal Declaration on Human Rights, the UN Global Compact, the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights and the Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights (VPSHR)
- Respect human rights at our operations and in our dealings with stakeholders and seek to use our influence to prevent abuses being committed by others in the vicinity of our operations as envisaged by the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights and the OECD Due Diligence Guidance for Responsible Supply Chains of Minerals from Conflict-Affected and High-Risk Areas
- Take steps to ensure mine security providers have not been involved or associated with financing or benefiting armed groups involved in serious human rights abuses or breaches of international humanitarian law
- Put in place controls designed to prevent our operations, agents or mine security providers from bribing or providing illegal payments, or voluntarily providing equipment, to third parties for use in unlawful armed conflict
- Publicly disclose payments made to governments, unless prohibited from doing so by law
- Establish processes through which stakeholders may raise concerns about our mines’ activities
- Utilise transport services that are not involved, or associated with, financing or bene ting unlawful armed groups involved in serious human rights abuses or breaches of international humanitarian law
- Implement risk-based due diligence procedures to ensure
that any third party miners that provide gold or gold-bearing materials to our operations also conform with these principles.