Today Women in Mining UK recognised women all over the world that are making significant contributions to the mining sector. As part of 100 Global Inspirational Women in Mining (WIM100) many women from our Member companies have been recognised and nominated by their peers for making positive and impactful contributions to the industry.
When we developed the Responsible Gold Mining Principles (RGMPs), which were launched in September 2019, we recognised that we needed strong principles which support gender diversity. At its launch, Women in Mining UK came forward in recognising that these Principles have gone many steps beyond other industry frameworks on gender diversity, this is something I am proud of and I believe a great step in the right direction. Historically women have been underrepresented in the mining sector. It is my hope that through the work we are doing with our Members who helped develop the RGMPs that we can continue to promote the important work women play in the gold mining sector.
I would like to congratulate all women that have been nominated including those from our member companies:
- Ana Maria Ferreira da Cunha, Government Relations, Social Responsibility, Communications and Community Director, Kinross Gold, Brazil.
- Anita Bertisen, Program Director, Operational Technology and Business Improvement, Newmont, United States.
- Awa Fofana, Underground Safety Superintendent (Syama Gold Mine), Resolute Mining, Mali.
- Claudia Uribe Lopez de Mesa Gerente de FormalizaciÃ³n Minera, Zijin Continental Gold, Colombia.
- Djaria Traore, Vice President, Global Supply Chain and Logistics, Endeavour Mining, Cote d'Ivoire.
- Florence Adu, Project Manager, Ahafo North Exploration Project, Newmont, Ghana.
- Kimberly Finke Morrison, Director, Tailings & Waste Management, Newmont, United States.
- Mamaye Kouma, Maintenance Planning Coordinator - Loulo-Gounkoto Gold Mine Complex, Barrick Gold, Mali.
- Maria Degasperin, Corporate Social Investment Chief, Newmont, Mexico.
- Philipa Varris, Executive Vice President, Head of Sustainability, Golden Star Resources, United Kingdom.